Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Uh mom, what's this?

For my sanity and the well being of my children Jer and I have talked about putting up a baby gate from the kitchen to the family room during meal prep times. There is a pocket door there but it's nailed shut and he have yet to free the thing. The little chairs have this magic ability to jump in front of my feet whenever I turn around even if I was just walking in that very spot moments before. Taylor and Hailey especially are obsessed with bringing their little Ikea chairs over to the counter. I've suffered many foot injuries and frustrated outbursts from these little wooden objects sudden and regular appearance.

We've had the gate for a while and gates are pretty foreign to my kids, they've seen them at other peoples houses but we've never had one up in ours. Tonight after Taylor was throwing a fit and I was on my own making dinner I decided to embrace the gate. It was a welcome help, to me at least. The little girls didn't know quite how to feel about it. Actually they were quite offended...want the proof?
Mom, I'm so thirsty! Let me in! (and not at all dramatic right?)

Hmm what do you think, can we go over?

How about under?

Needless to say there was a different sort of chaos in the air tonight. We'll refine how we do this, and everyone will learn the new setup. Don't get me wrong the kids still help me cook, they love it, there is just a time and a place and tonight? My feet were thankful.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally feel your pain...I've tried to be better at letting the kids help with meals. But, honestly--I think it needs to be just one at a time. All of them in the kitchen is too much chaos! Happy cookin'~

April said...

Oh man, that first picture cracked me up. And the Oscars go to..... :-)