Sunday, March 20, 2011

Brothers and Sisters

The kids are processing so much more lately. Last night Payden was having a very serious discussion on the Trinity with Jer, yeah, the Trinity! And when he would try to restate what she was saying she goes "dad you are just making me really mad because you keep saying something that is different than what I'm saying and it's making me really mad because that's not what I mean or am trying to say!" She's trying to understand something that I believe to be true but even I don't fully understand. The Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, God in three persons. And last night she was saying that Jesus is God and that is why we can't see him, not because He's in Heaven sitting next to anybody, he is God and we can't see God so that is why we can't see him. I am amazed at her ability to communicate even when she's getting worked up. So when Jer would restate what she was saying he would speak to her the truth of what the Bible says and she would get frustrated because the idea of God being three persons but one God is confusing to her, I'll be honest it's confusing to me too at times, but I believe it and trust in that truth.

Well in all of the talk about Father God last night the kids were talking about it on our way to our church meeting this morning. As we pulled into the parking lot I heard Lincoln say to Payden, "so mommy is daddy's sister then...right?" I turned off the radio to ask some clarifying questions because I didn't know where this was coming from. I didn't know if they were in the back of the car trying to figure out how they could marry each other (a conversation we used to have with them all the time) or if this was a whole different beast. "What are you talking about Lincoln", he said 'Oh we were just talking about how if God is our father and we are His children then we are all brothers and sisters, even you guys, right?' As I was getting out of the car I remembered how I went through a phase when I was little where I would say to everyone 'you're my sister (or brother) in God's way, and answered him "Yep Lincoln you are sure right" As I opened the car door to let the kids out he was already at the door, as usual, with his knees bent hand held high and yelled enthusiastically looking straight at me "HIGH FIVE SISTAH"! I burst into giggles because it was so stinking cute and I think I embarrassed him with my outburst. Payden who picks up on everything knew that this was a story worth telling (or blogging about) and ran into church telling anyone who would listen and by the time I got in the doors everyone knew what had just happened. Man these kids it's too much sometimes, I wish that I had a camera on them all the time because even though I have a good memory there is only so much I can recount. But I sure do love them and I'm so thankful that Jer and I get to teach them and hear their hearts and understand how beautiful and differently they were created, and that our Father loves us so much I want for other people to know His love so badly, and that we get to journey through it all together. We are blessed, I love my brothers and sisters!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those kids are great. It makes me think about how Jack said...Oh wait, he doesn't speak yet. But if he did I am sure he would be asking to see is Aunt Heather and Uncle Jer.