Sunday, February 24, 2013

Impromptu Pittock Mansion Visit

We were downtown today for a birthday party for a dear friend. After the party we found ourselves in a fairly typical conundrum. I'm ready to go home and relax and Jer is wanting to continue the outing, there's plenty more daylight to burn...and fun to be had. So, I obliged. And boy am I glad I did. First we wandered down the street to a world I was oblivious to, Filson clothes.

This is a jacket similar to one he inherited from his Grandpa after he passed away. Don't get me wrong, they are sturdy, good looking, well made, impressive pieces of clothing, also...they cost a pretty penny. It was fun though. He walked in wearing his coat and we immediately had some credence to what we were doing there, and if they saw us on other days, we might be laughed out of the store. The girls had a grand time and quite fir the part in their wool pea coats and swiftly won the hearts of the salesmen, Lincoln was down in Eugene for the day with his Grandpa watching the Ducks beat Stanford in basketball. Beautiful store, beautiful clothes, and it made me wish money wasn't an object and I could shower my love with some more of these great pieces...ah well a girl can dream right?
Well after our gallivanting around the fancy part of Portland we went on a little drive, and landed at Pittock mansion. It couldn't have been more beautiful. The inside of the mansion was already closed for the day, but that didn't keep us from wandering around the grounds. I could see the girls heads spinning trying to get a peek in the windows of a real mansion! I had never been here either and am embarrassed to say that it was today that I learned that the Pittocks were the wealthiest family in Portland, the Owners of the Oregonian, and founders of the Rose Festival. The girls loved seeing where the horses would drive up and drop the family off, and just dreaming about what it looks like on the inside.
I've had Downton on the brain, so I can't help but think that if it were a true story they would have had some connection to the Pittocks and maybe just maybe Lady Mary would have escaped one of her many embarrassing life choices and retreated to the hills overlooking Portland while staying with a distant cousin. 

My goofy little princesses, imagining which of the 23 rooms would have been theirs.

Portland tour via dad...it was a seriously dreamy evening. Only thing missing was Lincoln! Oh well guess we'll have to go back and get inside next time!

3 comments:

Carly Cross said...

So, so cute! Sounds like a lovely day. I've been there SEVERAL times and I don't think I knew any of those facts! Glad you shared :)

April said...

That last picture if perfection. It's a photo that tells a story. What a fun day!

Kristen told me you guys are coming for the 50th next week. YEAH!!!!!!!

JER said...

Thanks for indulging me and making it a great time for everyone. Food carts next time.