Monday, September 17, 2012

7 Years old, and a trip to Narnia!

Obsessions, I shouldn't be surprised that my children are prone to them, they are my children after all. So when I asked them on Sunday to think of what they wanted their birthday cake to look like and they told me the things I have done in the past I encouraged them to think of something that they are enjoying now, in this moment, not from the past. After much discussion between the two The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was the idea I ran with, and ran with it I did!
There isn't a ton of stuff online which is always my first quick aid in a brainstorming session. But I did use this photo as my inspiration. The trees are just sugar cones covered in frosting.

Turkish Delight that I actually found here while searching for cake ideas. I had quotes from the book at all of the Narnia related ideas that I used.
-"It is dull, Son of Adam, to drink without eating," said the Queen presently. "What would you like best to eat?"
"Turkish Delight, please, your Majesty," said Edmund.
The Queen let another drop fall from her bottle on to the snow, and instantly there appeared a round box, tied with green silk ribbon, which, when opened, turned out to contain several pounds of the best Turkish Delight. Each piece was sweet and light to the very center and Edmund had never tasted anything more delicious.-
Jer went and had lunch with the birthday kids at school and brought along a piece of Turkish Delight as a clue for what to expect when they got home.

We had hot cocoa, Turkish Delight and little tea time sandwiches. It was pretty basic and our family was there to join in the journey.

Crowns naming all the Kings and Queens. 'Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen'
Introuducing:
Queen Payden the Articulate 
King Lincoln the Protector
Queen Hailey the Generous
Queen Taylor the Observant and 
King Jackson the Strong

"She did not shut the door properly because she knew that it is very silly to shut oneself into a wardrobe, even if it is not a magic one"

Through the wardrobe, furs and all. When the kids got home from school I had it all set up and when Lincoln walked through he forgot about the step and stumbled through the wardrobe and it tickled Payden because that is what happened in the story when Edmund came through.

In their brainstorming the previous Sunday Payden said if we did Narnia that we needed to have a stone table.
"He'll be coming and going" he had said. "One day you'll see him and another you won't. He doesn't like being tied down--and of course he has other countries to attend to. It's quite all right. He'll often drop in. Only you mustn't press him. He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."

Free the Narnian's!
-"It's all right!" shouted Aslan joyously "Once the feet are put right, all the rest of him will follow"-


I couldn't find woodland animals at the dollar tree so we freed some Narnian dinosaurs.

Happy Birthday! 
Payden was set on making her shield look as much like Peter's in the movie as she could.

Payden blowing and Lincoln fanning the candles out with his shield.

Getting tooth fairy pillows from Jackson, Uncle Kyle and Aunt Gina! Timely because Payden has four loose teeth right now.

Happy Auntie with Ellaney who was born July 18th. She's such cute little peanut!

Pin the tail on Mr. Tumnus

Hailey won! While I was drawing him earlier in the day Hailey walked in and asked me 'mommy are you in love with Mr. Tumnus?' Me "no, are you " Hailey 'no, but I think Lucy is, cause when she see's him she looks like she's in love with him' 
I think somebody has a crush on Mr. Tumnus. 

Target practice.

King and Queen peeking through the wardrobe.

Doesn't she just look the part?

One happy kid, the wardrobe has been up since and I don't have any major plans on taking it down, They are just having so much fun.
I can't believe they are 7 already, it kind of blows my mind!




2 comments:

April said...

Heather, you are such a fabulous mom! Your kids are so blessed.

JER said...

The kids had so much fun!